The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Time is running out

A couple of years ago I bought an ipod because it was just what people were doing those days (that and tar heroin) and I felt like I needed one too. I'd use it more than some people would, but at most 2 to 3 hours a day and usually only while driving or doing homework.
I don't have a car here at Concordia, but I sure as fuck have homework to do which has caused me to use it more than ever. With that said here are 10 albums that I've found myself listening to the most since I've gotten here

10.)Alice in Chains - Dirt. This album was written and recorded while singer Layne Staley was being consumed by his heroin addiction and it shows with 6 of the 13 tracks blatantly spelling it out. Sound depressing? Oh it is, but is still a masterpiece of the 90's.

9.) Mastodon - Leviathon. Leviathon is a concept album based on the book "Moby-Dick" and features some of the most creative metal I've ever heard.

8.) Silversun Pickups - Carnavas. I usually don't listen to much indie/alternative rock, but Silversun Pickups is the exception. The music on Carnavas is relaxing and comforting, but the sense that any moment it could erupt is why it's on the list. I'd recomend this to just about anyone.

7.) Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze. This is some good shit.

6.) Metallica - ...And Justice for All. This is trash metal at it's finest and with an average track length of about 7:16, it's my favorite Metallica album and great to get shit done with.

5.) Radiohead - Kid A. I first heard this album this summer while at Jeff Spear's house at a fire and I just loved it. Before then I had never listened to Radiohead at all, but now I'm hooked and I'm no better than Scott Tenorman.

4.) Beck - Sea Change. This is Beck stripped of his samples and ironic lyrics and left with his acoustic guitar, string arrangements and a ripped out heart. This is the most beautiful album I've ever owned and I suggest to anyone to check it out.

3.) Deftones - Deftones. In this album Deftones pull out all the stops and just get to work kicking ass left and right. Singer Chino Moreno uses his voice in ways I had no idea were possible and shift it on a moments notice. When (not if) I die at the hands of government agents in a hail of gunfire this is what I expect to be playing in the background.

2.) Muse - Absolution. Absolution is one of the most exciting albums I've owned in a while due to it's innovative use of bass and piano.

1.) Radiohead - In Rainbows. Ever since I downloaded it a month ago, this guy doesn't get old. It manages to be great just as background music for when I'm reading an article or when I'm actively listening to every word and melody.

As you can see by the list only one of these albums was made in the past year so feel free to give me some ideas on other music to burn my money on.

2 comments:

sherlock said...

Jordan, we need to share my friend. You own some good music I do not.

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas is also one of my favorite albums. At times epic, at times mellow, but always, as you said, about to erupt.

Sea Change is gorgeous. 'nuff said.

I'm going to post about this as well

royalewithcheese_ said...

I was going to suggest that, but just kinda forgot to. I am really excited to see what you put up there.

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics