The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Me, I'm Not


Few things piss me off more than when a rapper or singer release a remix album. I don't know why, but I see it as a way to make a quick buck just by tweaking the bass line or throwing in a new turntable sample to replace the old one. "The Limitless Potential" by Nine Inch Nails is the exception to that rule. Trent Reznor Released "Year Zero" earlier this year and it was met with mild success and a couple of hits. Reznor created the album essentially on his laptop and there are only a handful of songs with real instrumentation on it and this allowed for an opportunity. He threw his whole album in multitrack format on the internet so fans could use programs like garageband to cut up and edit the whole album to their liking with the option to submit it to the Nine Inch Nails website for to be judged my Trent himself along with a select few other judges.





Over 200 fan submitted tracks were submitted and 21 were picked up to be included in the double album "The Limitless Potential" and it is amazing. To top it off Trent threw it online for free at 320Kb quality a la In Rainbow . These fans managed to tweak an already good album into something at times unrecognizable. Synthesized piano play over the haunting track "Me, I'm Not" to create the "Me, I'm Not (Void Mix)" and it makes the track something it never was on Year Zero, beautiful.




Overall the tracks are a bit funkier than Year Zero (although I deffinatly wouldn't call it funk) as well as having a much more processed and kinetic sound than the original so if you're into inorganic music as well as a lot of beeps and clicks this could be an album to check out. http://www.9inchnails.com/remixes/



p.s. This music is quite dark lyric wise as well as with the overall atmosphere so I wouldn't recommend listening to it on a rainy day.

1 comment:

constant_k said...

hahah trent reznor

I've never listened to any Nine inch nails OR Guns n' roses.

What is wrong with me.

I should get my mitts on appetite for destruction.

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics