The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

God Bless America...

Because it's my first week of the new semester my classes are still on the easy side (except for biology, fuck biology) so I've had some free time to check out some music that I've been meaning to for quite a while. First up, I managed to hit up the bands that you guys mentioned and I've gotta say damn... there was some good shit on there.

I picked up a few tracks on itunes from pinback and mute math and they weren't too shabby (and you were right Kubas, "fortress" and "Good to Sea" were pretty damn amazing and I hate myself for saying it, chill). I listened to a few tracks from Scatteredtrees and Sufjan Stevens and they were alright, but just wasn't what I was ready to listen to just yet. I've gotta throw a shout out to Cameron for "The Red Paintings" because they are one of the best and most inventive bands I've listened to in some time. The Red Paintings are a band that I can just connect to for some reason and they were just far enough out there to still be accessible to a person like me who as we all know is just a strait up cold blooded fool. That said Cameron gets 10 stiche dollars.

I also managed to pick up a couple albums that I've been meaning to get for quite a while, Killswitch Engage's "The End Of Heartache" and The Queens Of The Stone Age's "Era Vulgaris". If you're into the whole -core scene right now "The End Of Heartache" is a winner because it shows a genre at it's peak because the songs are pretty damn hard and they'll get you ready to fight the pope, and as a bonus (or a negative) pretty much every track is uplifting or a love song if you're able to decipher the metal. "Era Vulgaris" is a whole 'nother beast entirely. QOTSA have been one of my favorite bands since 2002 and (I even managed to see them in concert while Dave Grohl was in the band as a drummer (Fuck Yeah)) with each release they become more and more... I don't know what. I'd say trippy, but they were originally a Stoner-rock band so that doesn't work so I'll say that they managed to fuse whatever it was that they wanted to because it sounds damn good. If I were to classify this album I would say that it manages to pull of a cockiness in that it shuns most all rock conventions that are around today and it would be an amazing album to listen to while driving down the highway. Just check out some 30 second samples on itunes and you might like it, who knows?

I don't quite know how to end this post so I'll just say that I can already tell that I'm going to hate my Biology class with a passion that hasn't been seen since the new coke came out. yeah... that bad... Fun Fact- in my Bio lab, We get to do urinalysis which I'm looking forward to because as of now I'm 3 for 3. Wahoo!

p.s. I'm going to see Juno Saturday and I'm pretty excited for that.

1 comment:

sherlock said...

Dude, I'm very glad you checked out the Red Paintings. And I also like August Burns Red

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics