The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Could Be Worse

iPod's sure are fun. They are cool to look at, have some sweet games on there (who doesn't like solitaire?), and lets face it; it's fun to say. iPod. The think I like most about mine is the shuffle function. I don't have any cd's or bands that I don't like simply to get more music on there to say I've got more songs than you or to justify paying $250 for something the size of my self respect. That said, when I throw it on shuffle, it's a great experience and I usually don't regret it.

Today something magical happened. As I was in my annex studying above the DS I put in my ear buds and let the music come right at me like Teddy Roosevelt on Roofies and Red Bull. The very first track was The Offspring's "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" off of their Americana album. It might have been that I didn't really want to study at all or it was an epiphany, but I was able to trace my personal musical progression from the past ten years. Let me bring you all back for a moment first though. From the time I was able to listen to the radio right up to the fourth grade I was just like everyone else listening to 104.7 KCLD and loving every mindless minute of it. I listened to Ricky Martin, The Goo Goo Dolls, and god knows what else. Then one day while on the school bus ride home I heard a song that wasn't like the other songs I had been listening to. It was none other than Pretty Fly For a White Guy and I knew I had to get that album.

It was one of the first albums that I purchased with my own money and it ended up being one of the greatest buys I've ever made. I loved every track on that album from start to end which was something new for me. Most times when I received an album for X-mas or my birthday I would listen to the singles and just skip over all the other tracks without a thought. Ameriana changed that. I loved the Pop-Punk power cord riffs, the semi-harmonization that they tried (and sometimes pulled off), and even the dirty lyrics in "Why Don't You Get a Job". When I listen to it now I realize that it's just a pop-punk album that isn't technically astounding or even that great other than for the nostalgia, but that's okay with me and ever few months or so I fire it up on the ol' iPod.

That was the first "rock" album that I purchased and from that point on there was no going back to pop music with the likes of Cristina Agilera or others like her. From there I started listening to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and then I found my moms old Pearl Jam and Nirvana collection which drew me in more and more to all things rock and even a smidge of electronic music. Now I listen to, at least I think, good music that's legit. I've followed the tangent to some electronica with Fischerspooner, The Postal Service and The Chemical Brothers, some alt-rock with Muse, and Radiohead (come on, I'm in college), along with Desert music from QOTSA and Kyuss, the musical stylings of metal with Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, and Alice in Chains along with the classics by Bob Dylan (Fuck it, I don't care about run-on sentences). All this started from one band. Sweet.

FUCK YEAH BABY! 100 POSTS!!!!!!

I need a life

2 comments:

royalewithcheese_ said...

Hater's ball is only unique hits and I think it's clear to everyone that quantity of posts are far more important to me than any sort of quality. That said, thanks for the props.

constant_k said...

man stick

I saw somebody wearing that "I'll say I'm sorry but I won't take off my glasses" shirt the other day and I thought of you.

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics