The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Monday, January 21, 2008

F reflexive verbs

I've never liked Spanish all that much. In high school I took just enough to get my two years in then quit like the quitting quitter I am. My best memories of high school Spanish were cheating in the back of the class in Sra. Swaggart (or is is Swagert?)and throwing things up the vent that sucked air in it (trust me it was good fun). In Concordia, we're required to take a year of Spanish that would probably be easy on most people but like I said, I don't like it so it's a constant struggle to understand it let alone create thoughts in that damn language.

My first semester was taught by Dr. Eduardo Gargurevich (his dad is from Yugoslavia and his mom is from Italy, but he was born in Peru so he knew his shit) and he almost restored my faith in the language that had been dead to me for so long. He was a funny motherfucker who called us gringos and showed us music videos on You tube all the time that had nothing to do with learning the language. Most of them consisted of his favorite music videos at the time and he made no attempt to lie to us about that. He ended up teaching us a shit ton and what blew me away was that I liked it.

Well, that couldn't last now could it? Now that I've begun my second semester, I got hooked up with Sra. Rehm who is about 25 and from Fargo and also teaches high school Spanish. She has us play tic tac toe with vocab and has us do skits about problems in a restaurant (Que es la problema?). Needless to say, she is the Gringo that Eduardo had been so persistent in his attempts to stamp out of us. On the first day of class She had us choose names from a list that she had chosen for us to use for the semester (eduardo called us by our real name because as he saw it "it's retarded to use a name that's only going to be useful in this room"). There was a sizable list of some half passable ones like "Tito", "Nacho", "Paco", "Jesus", and others. Because my last name is Stich I was just about the last guy to choose and all the ones I had mentioned had been taken. When my name was called I scanned through the list and found one that I could live with... Oscar. My only reason for choosing this name was the fact that I had watched two episodes of "Arrested Development" the night before and thought of **SPOILER** the father of Buster Bluth, Oscar.



I'm not even kidding when I say it was my only reason. Too bad Franklin Delano doesn't sound remotely Latino...

2 comments:

Josh said...

i think i speak for all the readers of this blog when i ask, is sra. rehm hot?

royalewithcheese_ said...

She is actually fairly attractive. I wouldn't put her above a Mrs. Harmer, but she is close.

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics