The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

I'm not sure how it was with the rest of you guys, but Moorhead got a decent amount of snow this weekend. I went to bed Friday night/Saturday morning in a drunken stupor around 4 in the A.M. and up to that point there was not a single flake in the air or on the ground which was kind of a buzzkill because I had heard it was supposed to snow sometime in the night and there are few things more fun that that first snow angel/snowball fight that gets a little out of hand. I woke up at the crack of noon (my roomate decided that noon was late enough to get up and start working on a paper... come on)and made my way to Darin and Ellen' room to see how they were doing and to my surprise there was a fucking blizzard going on outside that I had managed to not notice from my own window.

I was so excited for so many different reasons, but the biggest one was easily the fact that it gets way less depressing when there is snow. Up to that point Concordia gad been nothing more than just a shitty gray abyss of sorrow and corn, but with the snow there was at least some insentive to not just start cutting only to stop when the Nine Inch Nail track I had been listening to ended.

This leads me to something that I have been thinking about lately - a generic song list with a title that is only slightly funny/clever.

Songs that would make me cry if I wasn't already dead on the inside.
(In alphabetical order because its just too hard to think about them any more than I have to)

Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole - The title says it all and I get chills just thinking about it. The acoustic version is so depressing I get sad when I listen to Jack Johnson just because they both use an acoustic guitar.
Audioslave - Shadow on the Sun - Its not so much the lyrics, its just that it makes me think of the Tom Cruise film "Collateral" and any film where Tom dies, I die a little bit.
Beck - (All of "Sea Change", but in particular) Lonesome Tears - The whole album is devastatingly sad with tales of heartache and sadness, but the string section that backs this track up adds so much sorrow...
Ben Folds - Brick - Any track about getting a girlfriend pregnant and then an abortion will bring a bamf like me to my knees.
Coldplay - The Scientist - This track only gets me down when it isn't being played/sang by either Troy or Jeff Spear at a party with a piano.
Dethklok - Face Fisted - The lyrics are actually quite humorous and clever "You're as dumb as sand,Your mom's fucking fat, Your mom blew a rat, You are a mistake, You have sex with cake", but the sheer brutalness of it all brings me down. *Note-- don't type face fisted into google and expect to find lyrics... it was horrable.
Everclear - Heroin Girl - Yeah, this is about a girlfriend overdosing on Heroin... Bummer
Korn - Pretty - Lets be honest, every Korn song is depressing, but this one is just a little more so.
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt, The Great Below, any track from any album... - Trent Reznor never really set out to make uplifting music to be sang at chruch (although I'm sure there is at least a cult dedicated to the man) so yeah... not very full of sunshine.
Nirvana - All Apologies - This is Nirvana's masterpiece and the fact that he killed himself a few months later makes it what it is.
Slayer - Raining Blood - Brutal to the point of depressing, but at least you wont have any Hippies around.
Staind - Home - Your typical late 90's track about a broken home and not knowing your father... quality alt metal.

Thank god for anti-depressents and everclear to make the sad go away/drink the sad away.

p.s. Bob Lee came up to Concordia and visited us this weekend and surprisingly nobody died.

5 comments:

sherlock said...

Oh man I love Ren & Stimpy

royalewithcheese_ said...

Looking back at Ren & Stimpy now, it was a horrible show to watch when we were young and it was just coming out. It was so graphic and obscene.

sherlock said...

True. But we were amazed by it.

Hindsight's 20-20, but who wants that?

constant_k said...

man sea change is a fuckin' bummer of an album

fun fact: shakespeare coined the phrase sea change, in The Tempest:

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

man when I searched for "sea change " I came across this website about Common Errors in English.

Stick you should start an extremely long running series where you systematically commit every one of those errors.

royalewithcheese_ said...

dude, I don't know man... That's a lot of fucking up. I'm sure I'll eventually get all of them by spring break on accident

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics