The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

So Damn Tired

Surprise Surprise, its Sunday night and I didn't do all of my homework when I should have so, it's time to kill some time. I'm thinking of making this into a regular feature.

I've been making sure to expand my musical palate this semester which is something I've been working on all year, but just put into overdrive recently. That said, here is some music that I've been digging lately. Feel free to send some ideas my way if you'd like.

Explosions in the Sky - I found these guys recently while hanging out with some friends and one of them threw this on and I was blown away. I've never been overly pumped about instrumentals, but this band pretty much smashed that to hell. Every song is insanely powerful and they know how to build to a crescendo like no one I've ever heard. Check it out if you want to relax and take a break from vocals.

Infected Mushroom - I wish I could say that I'm all over electronica, but I'm just not at all. I've always had a soft spot for groups like Fischerspooner and back in the day Lemon Jelly, but other than a handful of groups I had nothing. Infected Mushroom are an Israeli duo who incorporate some pretty solid riffs with a shit ton of palm muting into infectious danceable music. Not sure how to describe them other than that, but if you want to shalom it up, check out their new album Vicious Delicious.

Protest the Hero - I actually saw these guys around October with someone from school who I met one night by the bell tower when he invited me over to smoke a hookah with him and a couple of other people. Anyways, we went to see All That Remains and The Acacia Stain (which fucking slayed) and Protest the Hero was the 3rd band in. At first I didn't really like the singing style or the guitar the much (the real guitarist got stuck on the Canadian border for having a shit-ton of pot so one of their friends was filling in), but I picked up their new album Fortress on a whim (and it was free on Amazon.com) and I'm defiantly a fan now. The singer manages to vary his vocals in countless ways from singing like the dude from Alterbridge, to strait up screaming from the gut, to just about everything in between. The music is really technical, and I'd almost call it math-rock, but If anyone wants to listen to insane guitar... I wouldn't call them riffs, they're something entirely different, check it out.

I also picked up Godspeed's Lift Your Tiny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven and the Sigur Ros album Ágætis byrjun' and I've gotta say, Wow. I don't know which album I like more, but I do know that I'm starting to really dig on post-rock. Thanks Josh and Cameron, nice recommendations.


my paper still isn't written... I'm thinking I need spring break pretty friggin quick.

p.s. Darin and I are thinking about trying out for the campus radio show either this year or the next. I think we could pull it off.

No comments:

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics