The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tyrants Awaken

well guys I've done it. I made it to 104 weekends in a row and I'm going to be taking next week off. Nuff said

I picked up the new Metallica album Death Magnetic a couple of days ago and I've gotta say I'm impressed. I know Metallica is one of those "cliche" bands that just about everyone likes to a certain degree whether it's just a track or two like "Master of Puppets" or "Enter Sandman" or every last album they've pumped out since Kill 'Em All. I like to think that I'm somewhere in between. I want to avoid sounding like a pretentious D-bag, but I am a big big fan of Their first four albums with ...And Justice For All being one of my ten favorite albums of all time. Call me a heritic, but I'm not that big of a fan of the Black Album and I'm not sure why. That said, I didn't like anything they made in the 90's because lets face it, it sucked (I want to stress not sounding pretentious though when I say that). And I guess you could say I was in the minority of the population by enjoying the hell out of St. Anger, but I have a tough time explaining why so I'm just not going to.

That leads me to Death Magnetic. It fucking rocks. The riffs are badass and they come at you at a ferocious speed that's been missing from their work since ...And Justice for All and it sounds like they've been hiding in a cave since 1989 in a good way. They sound almost as if they're trying to emulate themselves from the Master of Puppets era, and if they are they did it in a good way. My only gripe on the album is the lack of double kicks, but that's just a personal preference. And to those who say that the lyrics suck; they're only half right. Metallica lyrics have always been ridiculous so it shouldn't be that big of a shocker when they still are. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said and said better, so if you like rock check it out. Plus they aren't bat shit crazy pissed off if you download it anymore.

I'll try to turn this into a regular part of this blog, and I'll start right now with the first Giles quote. A little bit of preface though first. Giles is a friend of mine who is a lot like me in that he often says things that make little to no sense that are often funny with little to no context of what he was saying. So i give you the first Giles quote

-(I entered the room mid way though a conversation that a drunken Giles was having with someone on the phone) "I was going to drive all the way to the cities just to make out with you", said Giles in a wistful tone.

No comments:

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics