The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

There Was Piss Everywhere

I've come to the realization that the song "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse is one of a handful of perfect songs I have. I'm not saying that it is the best song in my music library (or anyone else's for that matter), but what I am saying is that from start to end there isn't a single fault in the track. I'll try my best to break it down.

It starts with an ominous intro with galloping horses and as far as I can tell lasers and explosions. It's also full of synthesizers which are in many cases a hindrance to a song, but not with this song, they're used subtly and help the track along it's journey. Lyrically, it's top notch and here's an excerpt from the chorus

"No one's gonna take me alive
The time has come to make things right"

Plus, the bass line hangs out the entire song mimics the sound of horses which is a nice touch. However, as cool as the track is up to this point is only about a 7.2 and it's at 3:17 when the track becomes perfect. The layered vocals with both lower register and falsetto singing and the slowly building guitar, drum, and synth all come to fruition at 4:13 when the closest thing to a face melting riff takes no prisoners.



I can remember the first time I heard this song and it was while driving in the middle of the night in a relatively secluded area. I'm not sure if it was the environment I was in or if I was just really receptive that night, but I fell in love with the track and to this day whenever it comes on I have to resist the urge to sing along at the top of my lungs. I can't say that about very many songs.

Do you have any perfect tracks of your own?

6 comments:

sherlock said...

My friend, I had forgotten about that song. It's definitely worth repeat listens.

"Sæglópur" by Sigur Rós off the album Takk... would be my choice.

The video is crazy, however.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTH2E5QPEE

sherlock said...

I suppose my definition of a perfect song dictates that the song is self-contained, that it requires no context.

I don't know if it's a perfect song, but on that note I would suggest the extremely spine-tingling "The Streets Fell Into My Window" by the Red Paintings with the lights off, at good volume.

And, perhaps surprisingly, I would recommend "23" by Jimmy Eat World. It's not quite a perfect song, but I think the closest pop rock has come in quite some time.

Looking for videos of "23" resulted in a number of clips from shows on the WB, a beacon of hope in the miasma of girl-o-vision.

sherlock said...

AAAAND I had never seen that video before.

All I could have hope for and more.

constant_k said...

Drivin song:
You Shook Me All Night Long
AC/DC

Cryin song:
Helpless
Neil Young

Drinkin song:
Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)
Paul McCartney

Killin song:
Da Mystery of Chessboxin'
Wu Tang Clan

constant_k said...

stick we need a new poll

royalewithcheese_ said...

dude, you've got admin powers. I trust you can make a poll that's way sweeter than anything I could think of

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics