The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thursday

Last nights low in the Fargo-Moorhead area was -29 Degrees with a wind chill approaching a pretty bad ass -47 F. I'm pretty damn happy right now because even though I got stuck in the dorms again this year, I don't have to pay for heat (well... sort of) so that's something. Oh, I'm also pretty fucking stoked not being homeless too. that would make things way more complicated.

In other news I recently saw the Clint Eastwood film "Gran Torino" and I've gotta say it was a very enjoyable film with more humor than I expected (whether intentional or just the sense of "Holy fucking shit, did Clint just say that?") and it had an enjoyable storyline to go with it. That said, if anybody else were to have played his role (short of Jesus) I don't think the film would have been half as effective so I'm not quite sure what that says about the film. Maybe just the knowledge that Clint is in a film makes a handful of expectations come up that otherwise would be ridiculous. Who knows.

One final point before I go to class is a recent music acquisition. I bought the new Soulfly album, Conquer and the music is good and well and if you're a fan of Sepultura or any sort of thrash/groove metal mix this would be a damn good album to pick up, but that's not the reason I brought it up. I bougth up the album because of the song titles. They're over the top and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not such a good thing because they're so far out there, even for a metal album.

There are the metal standards like "Doom", "Paranoia", and "Unleash", but from there they start getting to be too much metal for one hand (see photo at bottom of page). There's "Enemy Ghosts" which isn't too crazy, but from there it starts sounding like a death metal album (and it's not) with the track name "For Those About To Rot" and "Touching The Void" (I guess Touching the Void could make a good Daft Punk track name, but it looks like they were beat to the punch). The monstrosity of track names ends with these two gems known as "Blood Fire War Hate" (guess what the chorus is) and my personal favorite and possible middle name for my firstborn "Warmageddon".

These track names would be decent and passable if the lyricist was able to truly articulate just what he feels a track like "Touching The Void" is supposed to represent, but that's just not the case. Soulfly is fronted by the Brazilian Max Cavalera and even though he's been making English speaking records since the late 80's he still doesn't have the faintest idea of how to string a sentence of it together which makes it all the more better.


Time to go to Psychology 206

1 comment:

3_the_hard_way said...

They're showing Synedoche, New York at Fargo Theatre now. We should hit that up.

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics