The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2011 (drawn out edition)

I've finally put together my "best of" list for 2011. It's been a pretty legit year in music from my perspective. Sure it didn't have too many mind blowers, but it was a memorable year. I'm heading to work in a few minutes so I'll just post my honorable mentions in no particular order as these all just barely missed the top 10.

Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
Any year with a Beastie Boys release is a good year as far as I'm concerned. It had been far too long since a proper release, (all due respects to The Mix-Up, a wonderful instermental album), and it's hard to find any faults in the new album. The Boys have somehow managed to keep spitting some of the illest rhymes all the while staying relevant after nearly 30 years. How the fuck did they pull that off?

Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament



Beirut - The Rip Tide
Listening to Beirut has always helped take me to another place in my head. It didn't seem to matter what was going on in my life at the time, but as soon as I threw on a Beirut album life seemed to get a little bit simpler and idyllic and this album is no different. Yeah, there isn't quite as much East-European influence slathered on it, but that's not a bad thing. The songwriting is just as tight as ever and beautiful as ever.

Vagabond



Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo OST
The follow up soundtrack to my top album of 2010 is monolithic in nature. The crazy bastards made an album that's pushing 3 hours long for a film that's two and a half hours long. It's still filled with chilling dark ambient tracks that makes my skin crawl and that's a wonderful thing. I need to add this disclaimer, I have yet to see the film, and once I do there's a good chance that my opinion about this album will change and it might end up making my top 10. Anyways, at face value, if you dug The Social Network OST, you should dig the hell out of this one, too.

Immigrant Song (featuring Karen O)

No comments:

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics