The Stiche Corner - Sort of like a Norman Rockwell painting, if Rockwell had been influenced by hookers and cock fighting.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Spiritual Rights

Quick recap since last post. I played the shit out of Hotline Miami (see previous post) and it was amazing. It only lasts 4-8 hours depending on how dedicated one is to getting all the secrets and wrecking all the high scores, (I totally was), and it really is the best indie game I've played in quite a while. It is super violent and at the same time really trippy, but under that facade it's basically just a puzzle game soaked in Quentin Tarantino films and acid. Would I recommend this game for the ten dollar asking price? F yeah. It's well worth every penny and it has the best soundtrack of the year as far as I'm concerned. Check it out here at their bandcamp site. http://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

I totally went to 3 concerts in 6 days and that was pretty sweet. I checked out Dropkick Murpheys on Saturday and they put on a pretty decent show. There was a time in my life when I was 12-14 when these guys were the bees knees as far as I was concerned and they served as the first bridge in my music tastes from Pop-Punk to Punk-Rock (yes there is a distinction) which would eventually lead me to where I am today and for that I am forever grateful to this band. They put on a hell of a show and I went totally loaded so that helps. I realized after the show that at 23, I may be a bit old to rock circle pits because I totally felt like I had been in a couple of car accidents the next day. Totally worth it and they put on a pretty good show.

Fast forward to Tuesday and I saw one of my favorite bands, Andrew Jackson Jihad at the Triple Rock in Mpls. Holy balls that was an amazing show. For those of you not introduced to AJJ they are a Folk-Punk band (yep, that's totally a genre) and they just make awesome awesome music. On their first release they were just two dudes who played an upright bass and an acoustic guitar playing some really insightful/hilarious/slightly offensive music and they have evolved into a full band playing more prototypical punk rock with a slight country flair (hard to explain, still awesome though). Anyways it was an awesome show. They played some Misfits covers as well as a Dead Kennedys cover so that was awesome. And about 3 songs in somebody threw/dropped a knife on stage and they totally played it off and just held onto it for most of the show while at one time waving it in the air during the encore. Just check em out. They're cool.




The last show I saw was Trampled by Turtles who were back in Fargo. They are an alt-country/ folkish band from Duluth and they put on an alright show. I had seen them two years previous in the same place and it seems like a year of constant touring might be taking a toll on them as they just didn't have much in the gas tank. They still put on a hell of a show and they looked like they were having a good time, but they just seemed tired. I don't know. Still worth the 15 dollar admission fee.

No comments:

For Vanities sake

web site traffic statistics